5 Signs You Need an Oil Change
Drivers in the Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg, and Carlisle areas know that regularly scheduled oil changes are important. Not only do they keep your engine cooled and lubricated, they help maintain high efficiency and prevent expensive repairs under the hood in the future. However, it is possible you could need an oil change between regular maintenance appointments.
To help you learn the signs that you need an oil change, Faulkner Mazda is here to help. Below, we’ve created a guide that will help you more easily spot if it’s time to schedule a checkup to get your oil replaced. Should you notice any of the below warning signs occurring in your vehicle, get to an authorized service center right away!
Need an Oil Change? Watch for These 5 Warning Signs
Over time, your oil breaks down and diminishes, meaning that eventually, it won’t perform the way it should. However, your vehicle will let you know that your oil needs to be changed with the following signs, all of which are easy to detect on the road:
1. Dark or Dirty Oil: Fresh, clean oil is a pretty, amber color. After working hard to keep your engine lubricated and cool, it picks up debris and dirt along the way, causing it to become dirty. You can see this when checking your oil, which is smart to do once a month. Simply find the oil dipstick under your hood, take it out, and check the color on the bottom—if it’s dark and has particles in it, it’s time for an oil change.
2. Engine Sounds: Is there a knocking sound coming from under your hood? This could be caused by lack of oil, as oil is what prevents these noises from happening by creating a barrier between metal parts. When it can no longer do its job effectively, you might be able to hear rumbling or other unusual sounds, letting you know new oil is needed.
3. Oil Smell in Your Car: While weird smells in your cabin are never a good sign, smelling oil means there might be a leak, or some of the fluid is burning on parts of your engine it shouldn’t be on. This can cause your vehicle to overheat, which if left unchecked, can result in a fire. Make an appointment for an oil change quickly to prevent any further damage.
4. Exhaust Smoke: If you can see dark smoke coming from your exhaust pipe, your engine might be working in overdrive to make up for the lack of oil in your vehicle. Other reasons that cause this can be leaks or faulty parts in your engine, so head to your authorized dealer to inspect this issue right away.
5. Oil Change Warning Light: When your check engine or oil change light is illuminated on your dashboard, it’s a tell-tale sign that it’s time for an oil change. Driving with a lack of oil in your car can lead to damaged parts under your hood, so schedule an oil change soon to avoid more involved repairs down the road.
Get Your Oil Changed at Faulkner Mazda
Whether you’re experiencing any of these signs that indicate you may need an oil change or it’s simply time for a maintenance checkup, turn to our state-of-the-art service center. Our professionals can change your oil in no time, allowing you to get back on the roads of Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg, and Carlisle safely!